Colorado Crawl Space Case Studies: Cleanspace Installation, Rodent Removal, Damaged Insulation & Custom System in Vail, CO
Upon inspection it was determined the black visqueen had acted as a vapor barrier for the moisture inside the crawlspace and had caused microbial growth to begin to form. This damaged the insulation and showed the initial signs of microbial activity. Rodent activity was obvious once a section of the visqueen was removed and found to be throughout the crawlspace under the subfloor.
The crawlspace floor itself was very muddy due to the water table/runoff. The homeowner did not wish to order the complete system and decided to keep their original sump pump.
In order for the crew to work in an acceptable space, we first began removing debris and digging the trenches along the perimeter of the crawlspace where it was forced to meet at a "T", then drained directly into the existing sump pump. We ran the pump and our extraction van until the crawlspace floor was manageable and then placed drainage matting over the dirt floor to continue our work.
Once the floor was properly covered and draining, we removed the visqueen carefully and placed all the damaged insulation inside where it was rolled up and bagged making sure not to leave and debris behind. Minor remediation work was done to ensure our efforts would lead to a professional end result. We eventually tied our encapsulation system into the original sump after raising and lowering it a few times to find the perfect level.
As soon as we removed the debris, we dug the trenches and the water began to do its job.
The trenches dug along both sides of the crawlspace eventually met at a "T" junction.
Once The debris was removed and the trenches were draining properly to the sump, the drainage matting was placed.